Saturday, October 16, 2010

Saturday's meals


Breakfast was super quick since we were off on an adventure today. I made smoothies with the strawberries, papaya, mango, yogurt, passionfruit juice and some flax seeds (from the States). We also had peanut butter-honey-cinnamon toast. We discovered delicious bread at "Art Caffe" in Nairobi- it's got a hint of sourdough, lots of whole grains, and is pretty awesome. When we are in Nairobi, we make a point of picking up several loaves and putting them in our freezer. 

We went to the cattle, goat, and chicken market today. We wanted to buy some live chickens to raise for the Thanksgiving that we're planning to have with the researchers at the Hyena camp in the Mara. Geemi, our assistant, took us to the town of Mulat, about 40km away to find "the very very best chickens". I had tried to find some in Narok, but only found one sad, scraggly, bedraggled, poop-covered hen. We passed on buying her. However, in Mulat, there was a plethora of chickens. We bargained and bought 4 (two for Thanksgiving, two for future feasts) and also saw the cattle and goat market. I think the Masai at the markets were completely bewildered by two wazungu showing up out of nowhere and wandering around their cattle. 


When I got back, I was starving! I had last nights pad thai, and fixed scrambled eggs and toast for Nathan and Geemi. Geemi hadn't had scrambled eggs before. I think he liked them, despite his very serious expression in the picture. 



We were pretty exhausted from the day. Usually one of us cooks a fancy dinner but we were out of energy tonight. Nathan had left-over Green Egg soup and I had the rest of the smoothie from this morning. And a glass of wine. Nathan had a Tusker beer. Apparently the soup wasn't enough, because he also fixed a bowl of ramen noodles, without the seasoning packet. Ew. I didn't get a picture, but I'm sure you can imagine it. 


I spent the evening prepping food for tomorrow's breakfast- we're having guests! Three girls from the Hyena research camp are stopping by on their way to Nairobi. One is gluten-free, one hates beans, and one is allergic to bell peppers. Quite the challenge for me! I decided to ignore the one who hates beans and make a mexican breakfast- I'll post about that tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment