Sunday, February 26, 2012

Cornmeal cookies (what?!)

Nathan and I got to go out on a date this weekend (!), and I wanted to bake a little something for our babysitters (our kind and awesome neighbors who have a baby Luke of their own). I found this recipe for Cornmeal Cookies on shutterbean. They sounded weird, but intriguing, and really easy. 




They were a huge hit! The recipe is basically a shortbread recipe, but with a half cup of cornmeal and a bit more salt. They were light and flaky and the texture of the cornmeal was addictive and unexpected. I ate 4 in one sitting. That's a lot of cookies. 


Cornmeal Cookies
(from shutterbean.com)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract


Cream butter and sugar, then add the egg and vanilla. Mix in the flour, cornmeal, and salt. Form ~1 inch balls, then roll in a dish of granulated sugar (this gives them a pretty crust when baked), place on the baking sheet and smash (lightly) with the bottom of a drinking glass. Bake for 10 minutes at 400 degrees. 


The original recipe had them decorated with glazed hearts, but I didn't have it in me to painstakingly paint hearts on each cookie, so I went for a graffiti-glaze effect instead, which I think turned out great! I also made my own food coloring which sounds crazy but was really simple. I had fresh beets, so I sliced one small one up (it was about the size of an egg), and boiled it for about 30 minutes. Then, I used my immersion blender to almost puree it, and then reduced the liquid by boiling it for another 10 minutes or so. Finally, I poured the beet puree into a paper coffee filter, which drained into a small glass jar. I added about 1/2 tsp. of vinegar, and that was it! 


The glaze was made from about a cup of powdered sugar, 1/4 tsp of the beet juice food coloring, and about a tablespoon of water (add small drops as needed to make a viscous glaze). 

No comments:

Post a Comment