Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Oh, Farro

Have you tried farro yet?

Oh, gosh. It's SO good.

Farro is an ancient wheat grain that is quite robust and hearty, but really easy to make (simmer it for about 25 minutes.) It's chewy and nutty and holds its own in a dish. We buy ours from PCC, and it comes from Bluebird Grain Farms in Winthrop, WA (yay for local food!).

If you haven't yet cooked with farro, I highly recommend it. I've cooked it several different ways, and tonight's dinner was one of my favorites.


While the farro was simmering, I sauteed kale in butter with a dash of lemon juice and salt and pepper. I added garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, paprika and red chili pepper to white beans, and then cooked two turkey sausages. I also heated pureed spaghetti sauce with a touch of butter, red wine vinegar and cayenne pepper. I tossed the cooked farro with chunks of sausage. To serve it, I piled the farro and sausage on top of the sauteed kale, then added a heap of the beans, and an over-easy egg. I artfully (?) drizzled the tomato sauce over the top.

Nathan loved it. I loved it. Luke tasted his first piece of kale and didn't seem repulsed (but preferred applesauce).



I've cooked farro with diced bacon and it's also amazing.

Have you tried farro? How did you cook it?

No comments:

Post a Comment